Practical Services

Payroll Services

We offer a monthly payroll service to both voluntary groups and small businesses. You don't need to have a minimum number of employees to take advantage of this service and, with our competitive rates, we can take the stress out of processing payroll.

Our simple step-by-step guide will take you through the registration process, or check out our handy FAQ. We've also listed some useful websites.

For current charges or more information please contact

See the current payroll calendar for 2017-18  for more details.

Step by step guide

Here's a simple step by step guide if you'd like VAO to provide payroll services:

  1. If you're not currently registered with HM Revenue and Customs for PAYE then you can do this online at the HMRC website.
  2. Contact VAO to arrange for a payroll account to be opened. Please have to hand your Company information, Employee details and Salary scales.
  3. Salary information must be provided to VAO by the date listed on thePayroll Calendar.
  4. Once your monthly payroll information has been processed, you will receive a Company Totals printout, a Payroll Summary (which gives information for you to arrange payment of salaries, PAYE and National Insurance) and two copies of your employees payslips.

Charges start from £90 annual fee. Contact Hannah Ker, HR Development for a quote or further information.

For an additional fee, VAO also offers an online filing service which includes filing P45s and End of Year returns on your behalf. Please contact us for more information.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Holiday Pay

Statutory annual leave entitlement is currently 5.6 weeks - many employees already get contractual leave which is more than the basic entitlement. For useful information on holiday pay including a calcaulator to assist you in working out employees holiday entitlement go to the GovUK website.

Minimum wage

Up to date information on minimum wage rates can be found here.

HM Revenue and Customs

Access to information and forms can be found on the HMRC website, including P46 forms.

Pension Provision

For up to date information on pension provision look at the GovUK website.

Did you know we offer an HR service and can help with employment contracts, policies and recruitment.Contact us to find out more or visit our HR page.

Useful websites





Contact Us

© Voluntary Action Orkney 2013 - 2017

By using this website you agree to our use of cookies as described in our Terms of Use.

You are here: Home Help for groups Practical Services Payroll Services