- Created on 31 October 2011
Our members play a vital role in VAO and we welcome new groups to join our membership.
Becoming a member of VAO allows you to access a number of benefits which include:
• the opportunity to become a director of VAO
• priority access to information, advice and support
• help, support and advice with volunteer recruitment and management
• a strong collective voice by contributing to the Third Sector Forum
• regular newsletters and briefing papers
• reduced charges on services and training
How do we become a member?
Becoming a member couldn't be simpler. Just complete the application form and return it to our offices.
We produce a monthly newsletter to keep our members up to date with the latest information affecting the third sector nationally and locally.
If you're an individual and support the aims of VAO, then you can also become a member by completing the Individual application form.
Managing Intelligence project - are you included?
MILO (Mapping and Managing Intelligence) is an exciting new project that Voluntary Action Orkney is undertaking.
The national MILO project will see the development of a comprehensive database of all third sector activity across each of the 32 local authority areas. VAO aims to compile information for Orkney’s 600 plus groups. We currently have the Communities Directory but it contains minimal information about what each group does.
For example, we just don’t have enough information about:
- how many volunteers each group has
- what services are delivered
- how much funding is raised
- whether or not groups have paid staff
This information will help build a detailed picture of voluntary sector activity in Orkney and ultimately VAO will be better placed and informed to support and promote the valuable work that all the voluntary and community organisations do. Once complete, the information held on database will also contribute to a national picture (anonymously) of the tremendous contribution the third sector makes to Scottish society.
If you have not yet provided details of your group, please feel free to contact us to be included in MILO or return the completed questionnaire to our office.