Community Halls


Adult Protection

The Adult and Child Protection Committee intends that all staff and volunteers who work for partner agencies should be aware of issues around adult protection and understand what action to take if adults are at risk of harm.  The aim in producing the training CD Rom is to provide this information in a format which is accessible in the workplace and for individuals or groups in the community.  It is hoped that as many staff/volunteers as possible will be given the opportunity to work through the CD Rom and subsequently to discuss any questions or concerns with a line manager, fellow committee member or Service Manager (Adult Social Work Team).

Copies of this CDRom are available for voluntary organisations by emailing

Adult Support and Protection – new presentation of information.

This presentation, supplied by OIC’s Adult Services, explains the process that is to be taken when someone has concerns about a fellow adult community member, and any subsequent official investigation or action should this be deemed necessary.

Please take this link to view the presentation.

Any further questions or queries should be addressed to the Adult Services duty social worker at OIC, Tel 873535 and ask for them.—quick-guide.htm



Have a read through our handy leaflet ‘Drawing up an Agenda’.

Alcohol Licence


Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to sell or supply alcohol must have a licence or other authorisation from a licensing authority.

Licensing of premises where alcohol is sold is governed by the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and associated regulations. In Orkney, alcohol licensing is overseen by the Orkney Islands Area Licensing Board, on which Orkney Islands Councillors sit.

The types of businesses and organisations that need alcohol licences might include:

  • pubs and bars
  • cinemas
  • theatres
  • nightclubs
  • late-opening cafes
  • takeaways
  • village and community halls
  • supermarkets

To apply for a licence, you will need to complete an application form, see

Occasional Licences  – (only holders of a premises licence or holders of a personal licence or a representative from a voluntary organisation are eligible to apply) and you will need to complete a Risk Assessment

How long can an occasional licence be granted for?

An occasional licence can last for up to 14 days.

How many occasional licences can be applied for?

A voluntary organisation is restricted in the number of occasional licences it can obtain in any 12 month period. It can have no more than:

  • 4 occasional licences lasting more than 4 days and
  • 12 occasional licences lasting less than 4 days subject
  • to an overall restriction to not more than 56 days in any 12 month period.

Can we allow people to bring their own alcohol and drink it at the event or function?

  • This is possible provided there is no premises licence or occasional licence for the premises.
  • You will, however, need a public entertainment licence if you are charging the public for admission to the event.

Annual Accounts

Have a look at the Community Toolkit for helpful information on preparing annual accounts.

Annual Accounts are essentially a report prepared either by your Treasurer or appointed accountant at the end of your group’s financial year, drawing together and analyzing your group’s financial activity over the last 12 months.

Your group’s Annual Accounts will be presented to your members for approval at the Annual General Meeting, and they are important because they:-

  • show members that the committee or board (or Trustees) are managing the organisation’s affairs in a proper manner
  • show funders that their grants are being spent on the purposes for which they were given
  • show prospective funders how the group manages its finances (and whether or not it is likely to manage any prospective grants prudently)
  • show donors how their donations are being used and that they help further the aims of the organisation
  • foster public confidence in the group and hence encourage ongoing support

If your group has charitable status, your Annual Accounts demonstrate that

  • the Trustees are meeting their legal duties and the charity is being accountable and compliant
  • the charity is being managed in a fit and proper manner, with income being used to further the group’s charitable purposes

Annual Accounts vary in format from the simplest Income and Expenditure sheets to the more complex Accrued Accounts.

The type of Annual Accounts prepared by your group will depend on

  • the legal form or structure of your group
  • your group’s annual income in the period covered
  • whether or not your group is a registered charity
  • funder’s conditions
  • your group’s own constitution or governing document
  • any decisions of the Committee or members

These things will also determine whether or not you have a legal requirement to submit your Annual Accounts to a regulatory body.

For Unincorporated Associations that are not registered charities and handling relatively small sums of money over the year, the Annual Accounts can be a simple Income and Expenditure account reconciled to the opening and closing bank and cash balances compiled by the Treasurer.

For Unincorporated Associations with larger incomes OR organisations/groups which are Incorporated, it is advisable to appoint a suitably qualified accountant who can prepare the Annual Accounts in the required format according to correct accounting procedures.   Accounts of small charities preparing Receipts and Payments accounts can be prepared by the Trustees or independent examiner rather than an accountant.

Read our handy leaflet ‘A guide to keeping basic accounts for a small voluntary organisation’. 

Finance service provided by VAO

OSCR guidance on annual accounts

Annual Meeting of Community Associations report

Click on the links below to view the reports from recent Annual Community Associations meetings.



Organisations that wish to provide bingo (or other types of gaming) for charitable or other non-commercial purposes (e.g. to raise funds for a society) may do so under Part 14 of the Act. The Act permits non-commercial gaming if it takes place at a non-commercial event, either as an incidental or principal activity at the event. Events are non-commercial if none of the proceeds are for private profit or gain.

This OIC information/guidance sheet is intended to provide a general explanation of the circumstances in which “bingo” can be played under the Gambling Act 2005. It does not deal with every detail of the legislative provisions, or with the individual circumstances of a particular case. This fact sheet does not constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for the relevant legal provisions. If you are in any doubt about the legality of any gambling activities that you intend to promote or for which you intend to provide facilities, you are strongly advised to seek independent legal advice.

Business and Project Planning

A business plan is a clear statement of the developments your group or organisation plans to undertake over a period of time – typically three to five years.  A business plan can be for your group/organisation and its development as a whole, or it could focus on a particular project.

Your plan will present a combination of your ideas and the costs of putting them into practice. It should be a well-presented document, based on research informed from a feasibility study or some other planning process(es) that you have undertaken.  This document can be presented.

The goal of a business planning process is to produce a final document to be presented to outside stakeholders about the ambitions and plans of your organisation.  However, the process of creating a business plan can be a hugely useful one for your committee and undertaking the work as a collective will be of benefit to everyone.

A business plan should be a forward looking document, but have elements that are based around past performance and current assumptions, based on research.  There are a number of templates that you can use and there are a few here to look at.  For more help with your business plan, please get in touch with Voluntary Action Orkney.



Have a read through our handyleaflet ‘The role of the Chairperson’.


Charity status publication

Child Protection

Child Protection Briefing Note 


Find out what you need to consider when ‘Joining a Committee’.


Door Stewards

Door Stewards – Not mandatory for voluntary organisation to have trained door stewards yet, but likely that it will be in future national legislation.  The Private Security Industry Act 2001 makes licensing of the private security industry mandatory.  Good practice for voluntary organisations would be to have a trained stewart.  A voluntary, untrained steward must be voluntary, i.e. receives neither payment nor any payment in kind.



See the section on OIC website for information on bingo, gaming and lotteries.

Gift Aid

Read our handy leaflet to find out all you need to know about ‘Gift Aid’.


What is good governance?


IE Briefing Papers

Do your accounts need the have an Independent Examination of accounts? Then take a look at this Briefing Paper to explain what you need to do. Click Here for further information


Public Entertainment Licence

See the Entertainment section on OIC website for any event for which you are charging admission.



A licence is required if a voluntary organisation or community group is organising a prize draw or raffle and intends to print and sell tickets before an organised event.  You will need to register with the Council to be able to hold small society lotteries.

You must qualify as a ‘Society’.  This is an organisation established and conducted for charitable purposes to enable participation in or support of sport, athletics or cultural activities or any other non-commercial purpose other than private gain.

The proceeds of a lottery such as a raffle must be used for the purposes of your organisation.

If the raffle is being held at a non-commercial event and falls within the definition of an incidental non-commerical lottery, it will be exempt and no licence will be required under the Gambling Act 2005.

The main features are

– no sum can be used for private gain and all proveeds must be used for the purpose of the event

– no roll-overs are allowed

– tickets can only be sold at the event and the results must be announced at the event

You will however, need a Public Entertainment licence if you are charging the public for admission to the event.

Risk Assessment

Village and community halls provide an important focal point for local residents and are used to host a wide range of events and activities. Health and safety shouldn’t be a barrier to managing a hall. Taking a sensible, proportionate approach is the key to making sure the hall provides a healthy and safe place for people to use without unnecessary bureaucracy.  A risk assessment is not about creating huge amounts of paperwork , but rather about identifying sensible measures to control the risks in your workplace. You are probably already taking steps to protect your employees/volunteers/visitors, but your risk assessment will help you decide whether you have covered all you need to.



Find some useful tips in our leaflet ‘The role of the Treasurer’.

  • VAO Newsletter

    Have a read of our latest newsletter, look through our archive or sign up to receive it in your inbox.


  • Orkney Community Directory

    View our comprehensive list of community and voluntary groups in Orkney along with other organisations and services that may be of interest to you.


VAO Newsletter

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.