Micro Volunteering/Short Term Volunteering
Micro-volunteering describes a volunteer or team of volunteers, completing small tasks that make up a larger project. These tasks often benefit a research, charitable or non-governmental organisation. It differs from normal volunteering as the tasks can take only minutes to a few hours, and the volunteer does not make a long-term commitment. As a form of virtual volunteering, the tasks are usually distributed and completed online via an internet-connected device, including smartphones It typically does not require an application process, screening or training period, or require an ongoing commitment by the volunteer.
Short–term volunteering projects give a great taste of volunteer work for people who may not have the confidence or time to commit to a longer project. Short term opportunities in Orkney have included projects such as gardening work at sheltered housing projects; cutting back salmon berry bushes at Happy Valley; painting children’s play equipment in Hoy and many more. Please see below for the latest short-term projects in Orkney.
Please see below for the latest short-term projects in Orkney:
We will update this section with new sites as often as we can so keep checking if you do not find anything that suits you at present.
- eMammal camera trapping: Help to classify camera trap photos of different animals!
- Help the National Museum of Kenya to transcribe their vertebrae fossil specimens cards into their database.
- Old Weather: Help recover hidden weather data collected by the US navy during WWII!
- Etch-a-cell: Help create a virtual reality experience to allow scientists to explore the inside of cells!
- OceanEYEs: Explore the depths of the Ocean to help monitor the Hawai’i bottomfish population